Sunday 24 February 2008

Stealing


I have been tempted to shoplift once. It began when the girl at the counter dropped the eye-shadow I was paying for on the floor and as a result the lid flew off and the makeup became dusty. So she told me to get myself another one, since I’ve already paid for it. What could I say, there was a shelf full of other pretty colours and lipstick in front of me and there was no security at the door and probably no alarm (this was Boot’s Dudley branch). I guess the attraction was the thrill of easily getting away with something that was considered “bad”. Plus, Rimmel aren’t going to cry over one lipstick worth £2 that was stolen from them, especially when the creator’s handbag is probably worth more than all of my possessions put together.

There is a reason why shoplifting is against the law. If it was legalised and everyone took whatever they wanted without paying, there would be no businesses or economy. However it seems to be acceptable by many, which isn’t surprising as according to BBC news, more than 3.5 million people have admitted shoplifting in the past five years in 2005http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4477596.stm.
It can be easily justified because no one is physically or mentally hurt when it’s committed. This is true, as you’re not stealing something that someone else has worked for or as someone pointed out in class, holding a gun to their face and causing trauma to that person. But as someone else pointed out, there is a spectrum in shoplifting. There is a difference between a teenager stealing one lip-gloss from Boots and someone who makes a living out of shoplifting to supply their drug habits. The latter can be classified as dangerous, especially for the consumer. If the consumer bought a stolen item and the police happened to find out, that person would be arrested, despite the fact that he/she didn’t know the item was stolen. And would the thief who sold it care? No, as long as they have the money to snort their pleasure. It can be argued that the police may never find out that the person had bought the stolen item, but it is the RISK that they may find out that makes this type of theft harmful.

So can petty shoplifting be justified? It depends on the store/shop. I personally would never shoplift from my local new agent because the owner knows my parents and I get on with him very well. Plus, he doesn’t charge £3 for a lollypop, so everything is never over priced. However, for larger (and more pretentious) chains, I can understand why some might shoplift. Top PR executive Belinda Mowbray wrote in ‘The Times Online’ on November 2007 “I was in a Topshop in Central London buying jeans. After I’d paid (I steal only from shops where I’ve also made a legitimate purchase), I spotted a little grey vest top I quite liked the look of. At £28 I could comfortably afford it, but thought it was very overpriced”. http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/the_way_we_live/article2923540.ece
Of course £28 is reasonable of it is a plain vest by Jasper Conran. But for a highstreet quality I can see where Mowbray is coming from. A £28 for a vest that’s identical to one that costs £5 from Dotty Ps is a rip off. But what struck me about this quote was how Mowbray only stole from shops where she had already purchased from. I think some people justify their theft because they already pay money towards the company/shop. Pay for an overpriced pair of jeans and take a vest without paying and then it'll be even.
However, it can be argued that if these people don't like wasting their money, why can't they purchase from a store/shop thats kinder to their account. I guess the reason for shopping at a more expensive store is that the quality of the clothes, especially jeans are much nicer. Plus, people are more attracted to the label or the superiority of the store (whether its trendy to shop there or not) than how much the clothes cost, especially when we are living in a society that is obbessed with consumerism and quality.

No comments: